There are two keys to a successful detox: preparation and making delicious foods with flavor. Nothing is worse than forcing yourself to eat foods you hate for days on end. I like to rotate a few recipes that are packed with my favorite foods and yummy flavors to keep it interesting. For me, the Detox Salad recipe has quickly become a go-to. It has many delicious & healing foods that are a perfect compliment to detox. Over the weekend, I wash, chop, and store all my veggies so they are ready to go for quick throw-together salads.
food as medicine
Specific foods contain phytonutrients that boost your body’s natural ability to detoxify, and this salad’s got them. Some powerhouse foods include cilantro, sprouts, leafy greens, radishes, onions, and cabbage to name a few.
Depending upon the food-based detox, there are two dressing options I love to use. One dressing option is a super simple using olive oil, lemon, and sea salt. The second is a yummy, creamy vegan dressing that will seriously blow your mind. I use it on everything from salads to veggie bowls.
Tip: On the go or need to save even more time? Layer each of the dry salad ingredients in 5 individual mason jars. When ready to serve, simply pour into a bowl and add dressing!
detox salad with creamy vegan dressing
This flavor-packed salad is the perfect compliment to anyone looking to improve their diet, add more veggies, or naturally improving the body's ability to detoxify with food.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup microgreens or sprouts
- 1/8 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 cup radishes
- 1/8 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup cilantro
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup quinoa, pre-cooked (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley or 4 tbsp fresh parsley
- It's easiest when you wash and prep all ingredients, in advance (including quinoa), over the weekend for quick salad prep.
- Rinse and cook quinoa (~15 minutes).
- Wash and chop all veggies.
- Add desired dressing and serve.
- If you have a high powered blender or Vitamix, throw all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute. If not, first blend the cashews alone into a power, then add remaining ingredients and blend on high for 1 minute. Dressing holds in the fridge up to 5 days in a sealed mason jar.
- Quinoa is optional for additional protein. If you do not have pre-cooked quinoa on hand, simply add more garbanzo beans and/or pumpkin seeds.
and more! Whether you are focusing on improving detoxification or not, this salad is a satisfying and healthy lunch option.