quinoa & black bean salad
Simple gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, and nut-free salad that is packed with plant-based goodness!
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (optional - use 5 drops liquid stevia)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional - add extra cilantro as a garnish)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained (I prefer Eden Organics)
- optional 1 ripe avocado, sliced for garnish
- Add water to pot to boil. Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Add quinoa to boiling water. Cover and reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer for ~15 minutes until all water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy. Stir with a fork, cover, remove from heat. Set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix the dressing. In a bowl, stir the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, maple syrup (or stevia), minced garlic, cumin, cayene, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Chop pepper, red onion, green onions, and cilantro. Set aside.
- Once quinoa is ready, in a large bowl mix together the quinoa, black beans, pepper, red onion, green onion, cilantro, and dressing. Toss well to make sure it's distributed evenly.
- Place in refrigerator to chill before serving (about 1 hour).
- Serve as a side dish or as a yummy vegetarian salad packed with plant-based protein.
- Add additional cilantro or avocado to garnish.
- This recipe is also delicious as leftovers - I like to make a double batch and enjoy for lunch during the week. Lasts in the fridge in a sealed container up to 5 days.
By Jen Martinsen at www.nutritionbliss.com