vegetable risotto with lemon zest
This dairy free risotto is incredibly delicious and tastes rich & creamy.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 32 oz. chicken bone broth or mushroom broth
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shiitake or baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup julienne sundried tomatoes in oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup asparagus or broccoli, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- Lemon zest or juice 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Warm broth in a medium-sized pot, add saffron threads, peas, and lemon zest or lemon juice over low heat.
- In large pot, saute onions in 1 tbsp avocado oil until translucent.
- Add arborio rice and additional 1 tbsp avocado oil, saute and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add 1 cup of warmed broth to rice mixture in large pot. Stir until absorbed.
- Add asparagus/broccoli, sea salt, and pepper and stir.
- Continue processes of adding 1 cup of broth at a time and stir until absorbed, then adding another cup until all broth has been used.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and sundried tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients into large serving bowl and serve.
By jen martinsen at www.nutritionbliss.com
dairy free, gluten free, risotto, vegetarian